Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Back to School, AGAIN?!

It's fun being home in Vermont and sculpting and doing all the lovely things I like to do, but I knew it wouldn't take long before I realized...Oh crap, I don't have any money! Well my friends, that day has come. Being a sculptor rocks and all, but it doesn't pay the bills. So, as a reliable source of income, I've decided to pick up substitute teaching at my home town elementary and high school. I've done it before, but haven't stepped foot in the school district in over a year. I wasn't sure if I was emotionally ready to be thrown to the sharks just yet, but I really need the cash.

So, reluctanly, I put my name in yesterday, expecting I had a week or so to prepare myself before I'd start getting called. But low and behold! They were in need. I'm on my lunch break at the moment, from taking over Mrs. O'Brien's sixth grade class. I will admit, I was a little nervous this morning when I woke up, got dressed, and packed my lunch. I felt like I was the one going to school. Well, I guess I was.

I reached the school 1/2hr early and checked into the main office. I got my little name tag and headed up to my classroom where my lesson plans awaited. I read them over thoroughly. Once. Twice. Then a third time just to be sure. I'm going to get eaten. Alive. The clock was ticking, 8:30 approached. Any minute now, the kids would be storming the door and filling the room like a swarm of bees. Angry ones. My palms began to sweat as a made tiny paces back and forth. They would be here any second. My anticipation was rising as my eyes shot back and forth between the door and the clock. 1 minute left. 30 seconds. 10.

The door swung open. This was it. Their little bodies began bouncing around the room, then in and out of the classroom, to their desks, then back to their lockers. "Do we have a sub?" they would shout. As I affirmed their suspicions I watched their faces fill with glee. What an undescribable feeling it is to wittness the joy of a child. Dear God, Help me! The room buzzed with chatter and giggles as everyone began to assume their seats. I started with attendance. The day had begun.

Long story short, I survived my first day. Those little rascals start to grow on you after awhile, no matter how much they kick and scream. Its funny how the kids who give you the most trouble are usually the ones who tell you how much they love you when they leave at the end of the day. Go figure. They might give you hell, but it's nice to know that you just might have made some sort of an impression on them. For some, the best part about being a substitute is the opportunity to be the boss, which on paper, sounds pretty appealing. Yet once you get in there, you don't feel so large and in charge. But even though they might walk all over you, I think somewhere inside of them, they know that you care about them and they appreciate you being there. Or at least that's what I need to tell myself to get through the day ;D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment