Thursday, September 24, 2009

Shrooms of the Season, and Frightening Fungi


Shrooms of the Season
While hunting around in the woods of Milton, we have stumbled upon many different fungi of fall. I never realized how many different kinds of mushrooms were right under my nose, or quite literally, in my back yard! Here are some pictures of some real beauties:




This mushroom stood about 5inches tall and is called the Wood Chanterelle, or the Funnel Chanterelle. This has to be the most beautiful mushroom I have ever seen, and as you can tell, I just couldn't stop taking pictures of it!
Below is a picture of a type of coral fungi. I have never seen anything like it, but it must be because I haven't been looking. These little guys were sprouting up everywhere! Some corals are even edible, but we didn't take our chances on this one. 

These next photos are of mushrooms I thought looked cool, but alas, was too lazy to identify. Feel free to comment if you think you know what they are!


I was attracted to this mushroom by its semi-spherical cap. It has a lovely soft grayish-lavender color, and very delicate stocks. They stood about 4 inches off he ground and the diameter of there caps did not exceed 1/2 inch. 

    This mushroom lured me in by the way it captured the light in its upturned cap. 

After getting more familiar with identification, I started to notice how fantastical some of the mushroom names can be. Here are a few fungi I found with names quite fitting for the Halloween Season!

Frightening Fungi
A Halloween Treat :D

This cluster is given the name Earth Tongues. Don't get licked walking by these delicate gems!

Next, we have the Destroying Angel. These large, eye catching mushrooms can be found dotting the woodland landscape, but don't be fooled by their glaring beauty, for a nibble on these, or maybe just a touch, can be the kiss of death!


How lucky I was too come across this fabulous fungus, a strain of Slime Mold! Its bubbly and orange gooey surface make it the perfect Halloween find and it certainly takes the cake as my personal favorite.  Coming across it in the woods was quite the scare!

Lastly, I present to you the delicate Ghost Flower. Although not a fungus, they are certainly worthy of this post. This parasitic plant spends most of its life underground, only rising to bloom when conditions are favorable. Because they do not get nutrients from the sun, they are devoid of chlorophyll, and lack all pigmentation, giving them their gorgeous ghostly glow. 

Well, that's all I have for frightening fungi! I hoped you enjoyed the read, and I wish you a horrific Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment